- (potential) clients of MAAK Advocaten;
- visitors to the MAAK Advocaten website;
- recipients of commercial e-mails sent by MAAK Advocaten; and
- all other persons with whom MAAK Advocaten cooperates, who contact MAAK Advocaten or whose personal data MAAK Advocaten processes.
2. WHICH CATEGORIES OF PERSONAL DATA DOES MAAK ADVOCATEN PROCESS?
MAAK Advocaten processes personal data (i.e. any data about an identified or identifiable natural person)that:
i. has been provided to MAAK Advocaten as personal data.
- Information necessary for the handling of a case by an attorney at law;
- Information entered into (online) contact forms;
- Information provided at meetings or events.
ii. has been obtained through or generated by our website.
- surfing behaviour on the website (which pages and sub-pages have been visited previously, how the website is navigated, and the duration of each user session);
- the Internet Protocol (IP) address of any equipment used to access our website.
iii. if applicable, has been obtained from other sources, e.g.
- data available on public (business) social media platforms;
- data obtained from the Trade Register of the Chamber of Commerce and from the Land Registry;
- data available on public business websites.
3. FOR WHAT PURPOSE DOES MAAK ADVOCATEN USE YOUR PERSONAL DATA?
MAAK Advocaten uses personal data only for the purpose for which it was obtained and checks to make sure that the data is processed lawfully. MAAK Advocaten uses personal data for the purposes described below:
- the performance of a legal services agreement (your contact details and the case data are used to process the case and to invoice the services provided);
- compliance with legal and statutory obligations (such as tax obligations and compliance with the Law on the Prevention of Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing, which requires lawyers to request and store certain information, including a copy of an identity document);
- the recruitment and selection of candidates for vacancies within MAAK Advocaten (your CV, cover letter and any (internship) statements or letters of recommendation are used to facilitate recruitment and selection);
- maintaining contact (personal details are kept in a client database so that, among other things, you can be invited to events).
4. ON WHAT LEGAL BASIS DOES MAAK ADVOCATEN PROCESS PERSONAL DATA?
MAAK Advocaten processes personal data based on one of the following (legal) grounds:
- on the basis of a service agreement or prior to the conclusion of such agreement;
- in fulfilment of a legal obligation;
- in connection with a legitimate interest of MAAK Advocaten (MAAK Advocaten may process personal data if there is a legitimate interest in processing the personal data and, therefore, no disproportionate intrusion has been made on your privacy; examples of a legitimate interest may include maintaining contact with clients or improving the website);
- you have granted permission to process your personal data. You have the right to withdraw such consent, however, at any time.
5. WHO RECEIVES THE PERSONAL DATA?
MAAK Advocaten only shares personal data with third parties if and to the extent that this is necessary for the provision of legal services and there is a legal basis to do so.
Persons affiliated with MAAK Advocaten are given access to no more of your personal data than is strictly necessary. Persons affiliated with MAAK may include partners, employees, temporary workforce, chartered accountants if certification by a chartered accountant is required, experts engaged to issue expert opinion, civil notaries or other lawyers for a second opinion or observation of the practice, and the officials or shareholders of MAAK Advocaten.
MAAK Advocaten works with ‚Customer Relationship Management (CRM)‘ software specifically developed for the legal profession and provided by a specialised party. This software allows your personal data to be carefully and securely stored on behalf of MAAK Advocaten. MAAK Advocaten has concluded a processing agreement with this party (the ‚processor‘) that complies with data protection laws and regulations.
MAAK Advocaten may also provide your personal data, to the extent that there is a legal obligation to do so, to government agencies, such as regulators or the Tax and Customs Administration.
MAAK Advocaten may transmit your personal data to parties in third countries, i.e. outside the European Economic Area (EEA), for example when litigating against an (international) counterparty or when concluding an (international) agreement. If MAAK Advocaten transfers your personal data to a party in a third country, MAAK Advocaten will check whether an adequate level of protection can be guaranteed in that third country and inform you of this.
6. HOW LONG IS YOUR PERSONAL DATA STORED BY MAAK ADVOCATEN?
MAAK Advocaten does not retain personal data any longer than is strictly necessary for the purpose for which your personal data has been processed. Should you require further information about the retention periods observed by MAAK Advocaten, you can always contact MAAK Advocaten. MAAK Advocaten stores certain data in fulfilment of legal obligations:
- case details: twenty years after the closure of a file;
- administrative data (including financial administration): seven years after the closure of a file.
7. CONTACT FORMS ON THE WEBSITE (Gravity Forms)
MAAK Advocaten makes use of contact forms on its website. If you fill in and submit any of these forms, your request or query is then immediately forwarded to MAAK Advocaten. The contact forms are built on a so-called Gravity Forms template, i.e. software for building (contact) forms.
The data you enter is then processed and sent to us as an e-mail file using the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP). The SMTP servers of the website manager of MAAK Advocaten are secured by an SSL Certificate, which means that information sent to us is encrypted. The content of the message is then decrypted by our systems upon arrival in our CRM System (BaseNet).
8. QUESTIONS OR COMPLAINTS?
You have the right to access, correct, delete, and transfer your personal data to another party. You may also request MAAK Advocaten to restrict the processing of your personal data and you are entitled to object to the processing of your personal data. MAAK Advocaten will contact you within four weeks of receiving your request. You can contact MAAK Advocaten by letter, e-mail or telephone.
MAAK Advocaten N.V.
1033 SE AMSTERDAM
T: +31 (0)20 – 210 31 38
In order to increase the ease of use of and improve the website(s), MAAK Advocaten makes use of so-called ‚cookies‘. A cookie is a small text file that is placed on your computer, tablet, or smartphone during your visit to the MAAK Advocaten website(s). You may refuse our use of these cookies at any time, although this may limit the functionality and ease of use of the website(s).
On the website of the Dutch Consumer and Market Authority (https://www.consuwijzer.nl/telecom-post/internet/privacy/uitleg-cookies), you can read more about cookies and how to block or delete them.